Middlebury Natural Foods Co-op is Ready to Grow!
You, our loyal member-owners have been asking for it. Now, together we’ll build it!
We’ve wrapped up the member loan drive and we’re feeling incredibly grateful to be so well supported by our member-owners as we move into this next exciting phase for our Co-op! Thanks to you, we were able to raise $1 million in member loans to help finance the project! WOW!
Why Member Loans?
Member Loans provide the Co-op member-owners with a strong local investment they can visit every day, and provides the co-op with cost-effective financing. Co-ops across the country have relied on member-owner investment programs as a long-standing method to raise money and community support for their stores. Member-owner investment demonstrates the commitment of loyal customers, convinces banks to loan additional money, and reduces debt service, making our Co-op stronger!
Here are the goals for this expansion:
- 50% more retail space overall
- Wider aisles and better layout for ease of shopping (and visiting…)
- 100% more fresh meat, prep room, and coolers
- New Co-op Cafe with double current seating and own entrance
- 100% increase in cheese retail space, with new island
- Commitment to expand without increasing our carbon footprint
- Improved deli, with 75% more retail space, hot bar, and more
- Enlarged deli kitchen for more prepared food, faster service
- New customer service desk
- Improved store entrance with air lock
- Wider, longer, safer driveway entrance
- More open produce layout with 20% more space
- Better insulated, more energy-efficient building overall
- Expanded bulk selections
- Two public restrooms
Construction is planned for Spring 2017!